Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bridget Jones

Bridget Jone's Diary
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
both by Helen Fielding

(also, I've got this major vendetta about books with their dvd/movie poster as the cover)

I've read both the Bridget Jones books and let me tell you they are both supremely adorable!! The movies were always very cute, but never on my list of favourites, and I'm not quite sure how much I was expecting to like the books. But I was in a very stressed place and the books I had been reading when I picked up each of these were heavy and very dark.
If you've seen the movie(s) then you are fully aware of the book. Especially in the case of Diary, the plot was barely changed. The books are written as if they actually were Jone's diary for the year. Each post (re: chapter) beginning with the time, date, location, caloric intake, and various other fun facts to which the character is currently concerned;such as smoothies drank, cigarettes smoked, days between shagging, etc..
Typically reading about a character with such insecurity problems would normally drive me mad (see any of the Jennifer Weiner books); that sort of incessant complaining about weight, looks, lack of romance should not be published, women do not need any encouragement for this type of behaviour.
But Fielding manages it in such a way to make it quite funny and often hilarious. Jones' problems you see, normally turn out all in her head and once she gets what she wants, she realizes it was better off before. It's got that slightly bizarre English humour that I love so well.
I would recommend these books to anyone looking for a light read and a great laugh.

1 comment:

Jessika said...

I'm going to have to try these out. I really like the movies, and books are better than movies 9 out of 10 times (Last of the Mohicans being a perfect example of the exception.) I might pick them up at my friendly neighborhood library.
: )

PS- I'm really excited because I just got my first guest request from Julie! (The girl I stayed with in DC) Yeah!