Thursday, November 29, 2007

MEIN KLEIN SHREKHUND




Which, is to say, my sweet little dog, aka Ol Wheezy, aka Chubbers, aka Bear, aka Piggy, aka Little Bitch, aka Mein Klein Shrekhund, otherwise known as Attila.


Attila came into my life by pure happenstance, also by a mother who could not knowingly leave a tiny four-week old 1/2 chihuahua 1/2 poodle mix with a family that would most certainly destroy it within two months (and if they didn't, the busy highway feet from their front stoop most surely would have).

I came home one day (not too long after moving back from new york) to find my mother sitting on a chair, saying, "well, I've either done a very wonderful thing or a really terrible thing...either way, you've got a dog now b/c [your father] will kill me if I bring a new dog into this house."

The next day she and I went to pick up this adorable little puppy dog.* This tiny black bundle of fur fit snuggly into the palm of my hand (literally) and I lost my heart to him. All sorts of motherly-type instincts kicked in while caring for this too-small to be believed puppy. Of course, with good comes bad, and I spent several months not going too far from home and countless times cleaning up my puppy's waste, and all the little things he'd chew on, and listening for him to see if he was either A: using the bathroom somewhere in the house or B: chewing up something he shouldn't be. (Needless to say, all the bad re-confirmed my decision to [hopefully] remain childless.)

Attila remained nameless for a few weeks while I tried to come up with something clever that suited his personality. One night I took him to a bonfire-gathering my friends were having to celebrate their graduation/going away from our tiny close-minded town and one of them picked him up after hearing me tell about how this five pound dog is somehow managing to knock over his little gate in the hallway and said, "well, you're just like Attila-the-Hun is all!" And preceded to inform me that the all-conquering Hun was a fairly small-sized man. (I want to say around 4'5'' but it could be 5'2''....I don't remember anymore) and the name stuck to my sweet and yet very destructive puppy-dog.


Attila is a wonderful little doggie. He's really not all the bright, but he's so sweet, it makes up for it. The dog has no concept of stranger, it's simply "FRIEND!!!" or "POTENTIAL FRIEND!!!" he even likes other dogs too, but if there's too many of them he'll go far away from the rough play and just watch them (to be fair, most of my friend's dogs are larger-sized breeds) and occasionally run into the fray to chase and be chased and then run back to his little spot and continue watching.

He's traveled from my parent's house to the shitty apartment complex I lived in while I finished college, back to my parent's house, and now to the house SO and I live in. He such a great little dog that wants nothing more than to have his belly rubbed all day long. His favourite words are, "want a bellyrub?" (and he'll fall onto his back and spread his legs, the little whore) and "alright, let's get a treat!" (to which, he'll make a beeline for the kitchen and sit in front of the shelf where he knows his treats are kept).

I could write so much on my little Attila, how his fur grows out until he's just this black cottonball that runs around my house, or how he loves to "talk" to us in the morning, or how whenever he's playing "rope" he'll growl as he pulls. . . . .so much about mein klein shrekhund, but I must quit here for now.











*I SWEAR! As soon as I get my computer, I plan on posting lots and lots of superfluous pictures of everything around me. (I feel like a terrible photographer, to have a blog and not a single picture posted).

1 comment:

thethinker said...

After this wonderful description of Attila, I have to see pictures!