Saturday, September 8, 2007

the curious incident of the dog in the night-time, by mark haddon

Haddon's book about a 15-year old with Asperger's Disorder, a form of autism, is very well written.
The book can be somewhat taxing however as the entire novel is read through the narrative of the child. Most every conversation goes like this:

"Mrs. Anderson said, this...
Then I said, this...
Mrs. Anderson nodded and said, this...
I didn't answer because it wasn't a question.
Then Mrs. Anderson said, this...
And I said, this..."

And the entire story is interspersed with mathmatical puzzles that we can watch the protaganist work out, some for a class, some for his own particular method of calming down, mainly used as his method for understanding the world.
Haddon writes from years spent working with autistic children when he was younger. According to some articles, those with Asperger's Disorder thought his depiction was inaccurate; however, people who have worked with autistic children found the behaviour to be well described.

But overall, the book was extremely interesting. I loved being able to see very simple things through the eyes of this kid. Everything he did and thought was so precise. Everything had to be absolutely logical or he couldn't understand it. If someone told him to "come inside or you'll catch your death." He would have no clue what they meant, he would have to be told, "come inside or you could potentially get a very bad sickness."
About 3/4 of the way through the book, I began to doubt my own loopiness. This kid is so straight. Everything has to have an answer. Everything. Perhaps I'm just floating around out there, not paying close enough attention to everything, not noticing any details in the world around me, missing so very very much in my daily scenes. Within a chapter, I'd managed to come back down to reality and began to admire this kid for doing what he does, despite his limitations (see me, trying to make a point without giving away storyline).
There are rumours out there that the rights to the book have been purchased and the ever-elusive they are working on a screenplay. I cannot comprehend how this book will be turned into a movie. The only hope this book-to-movie story would have is if it stays with an independent film company; so much of this entire book takes place inside this kid's head.
I'd recommend this book to just about anybody, especially if you're in the mood for something different from the common novel.





No comments: