Tuesday, September 11, 2007

For my friend:

How strange it is to me, that we've known each other for many years and yet somehow are only now becoming close. Perhaps neither of us were in the right place before; you, being too lost in your sadness; me, being way too judgmental and thereby unaccepting of most people.
And yet, we've somehow finally decided to "get together outside of parties" and discovered how wonderful we are together. I want you to know, I'd given up ever finding a female friend I can be close too--anytime I met someone with whom I'd manage to connect, they (or I) would inevitably move away; as is my personality, and the type to which I'm also attracted.
I know you're nervous about tonight (and who wouldn't be?) and I know that you'll do fine; in fact, your slight nervousness might make your already stellar performance, WAY above par.
But, I want to send happy thoughts for you out into the world, especially for tonight.

I think you're wonderful, not because you're so talented but because you open yourself up to let everyone see inside, regardless of however they'll take it.
I think you're strong, not because of how much you've been through, but because you're still willing to give people a chance despite the past.
I think you're lovely, but not because you are beautiful, but because you've somehow, against all odds, have been able to maintain your fragility.
And, I delight in your friendship, not because you are so wanted, but because something in you decided to open up to something in me.

And, I wish I could be there tonight to watch you blow thousands of people away, and to see you afterwards and help you gather yourself back together after draining your soul for them. But you will do wonderful, as you always do.
And I will see you tomorrow.

No comments: