Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

I loved this book. LOVED it. This is a piece of young adult fiction that is pure joy to read. Of course, I think I fell in love with this book more for the main character's thought processes than for anything else. He reminded me of SO, of the way he acted and reacted to life when I first met him.
The book is written in a series of letters addressed to a man with no name, just "dear friend" and then a description of the day or the past couple of days--think of it as Dear God, It's Me Margret without all the Christian overtones; or girly problems; or young adult drama; and add in some drug use; also some underage sex/sexual encounters...okay, try not to think of it like that at all.
But I swear it's amazing! It's just a window of a year in one teen's life, of everything he's going through and what he's thinking about. Unfortunately, I was unable to relate to the main character, but what he said (wrote?) reminded me so much of some of my friends during that time.
It's an easy read that is well worth the time and money spent.


No comments: