Saturday, March 28, 2009

and in other news...

In an interesting turn of events the other day, Sassafrass was thrown off track when she realized that she had been spending so much energy trying not to turn into her mother that she had inadvertently turned into her father!!

Oh, yes. It's true. I carry a lot of my German mother's neurotic tendencies; and with these, I try not to turn into the gigantic ball of emotion and stress that is my mother. I do a pretty good job at avoiding this; largely in part thanks to SO.
However, I've been working A LOT lately as Baby-Girl is still on tour; to make up for her absence, I've been pulling double shifts, for about two weeks.
The better part of Thursday morning was spent in a MAJOR argument with SO, basically boiling down to he had been treating me quite rudely because he was now expecting it as soon as I get home; that I would be so stressed out from my job and the double work of it and I wasn't properly separating my job stress from the peace of being at home; of coming home to a wonderful man who was cleaning the entire house, buying and prepping all the dinner so all I would have to do is throw it in a dish and cook; and basically taking care of everything I needed.
This? This is EXACTLY how my father acted (and still does) while I was growing up. He was rarely at home due to the difficult climb up the corporate ladder, and when he would finally come home, he would snap at my mother, my sister, and I.
To use a common southern term, you could have knocked me over with a feather when I realized that I had inadvertently turned into my dad. No shit. We were mid-argument, yelling at each other, saying terrible things, and out he bursts with, "Well, if you could just learn to separate your job from your home, then I could be nicer to you. Take thirty minutes, take an hour as soon as you get home. Do whatever the fuck you want to do, and when I get home, be in a better goddamned mood!!"
And that stopped me dead in my tracks. Shit. I've turned into my father. And given the choice between the two parental figures, I would most certainly choose to turn into my mother.

What woman ever thinks that she will utter that phrase?

No comments: